Student Support Office » FAQs


What is a Student Support Advocate and who is mine?
A Student Support Advocate (SSA) is a staff member assigned to help you with a variety of things including social-emotional challenges, scheduling, college and career preparation, IPS meetings, and more. 
Your advocate is assigned based on your last name and will stay with you each year you're at MHS. More information can be found on the Student Support Office Team page of this site.
How do I request a transcript?
Transcripts must be requested through Xello. You may access Xello through Clever on your Chromebook.